Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Ultimate HERO Workout

The Ultimate HERO Workout

The memorial day workout for CrossFit was to pay tribute to Navy Lt. Michael Murphy, 29 of Patchogue N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. According to the articles I have read on-line he was a HERO! CrossFit created a workout named in his honor, and the CrossFit community pays tribute to the fallen by completing the challenging workout to the best of their ability.

The workout will be always referred to as the "MURPH". What is the Murph workout? I'm glad you asked.

For Time:
1 mile run
100 Pull-Ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 Mile Run

When I showed up to the workout on Monday morning, the trainer offered the 1/2 Murph. That would  ONLY be 50 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups and 150 Squats. Did I just say ONLY?  If we wanted to do this we could. I waited for someone....anybody to say they where going to do the 1/2 and there wasn't a single person who was willing to do the 1/2. I really wanted to do the 1/2 but peer pressure got the best of me so I signed up for the full.

Off we went, about 15 of us to do the mile run. After that it's into the gym to get some things done. I broke my MURPH workout into groups. I did 10 Pull-ups, 20 Push-ups and 30 squats, and I did this for 10 rounds. My fourth round I started to feel a little nauseas, but pushed through it. On about my 9th round I noticed that I am the only one left in the gym. Everyone else has headed out for their last mile run. Darn it! After I finished my rounds I headed out for my last mile run and convinced the gentlemen that came in first to run another mile with me. He Did! I honestly don't think I could of ran it if he wasn't with me.

There where some tears at the end, and as I finished everyone was cheering for me. I came in last and it took me 68 minutes to finish, but I finished!!!!

It was very rewarding to finish this workout. I read that this was Lt. Michael Murphy's favorite work out. My husband and son also did the MURPH. This is a photo of us after the workout.


This was the hardest part for me. Pull-Ups! Push out of your comfort zone.

Check out my web site

Join My 90 Day Weight Loss Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment